- Chartered Trade Mark Attorney
- Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice
- BA (Hons) Law
- Legal 500 2022: Katy Fuggle is "excellent" and a "joy to work with". She "takes the time to thoroughly understand our objectives & issues and helps us make good decisions".
- Legal 500 2021: Katy Fuggle is "personable, professional, knowledgeable and grounded in the real world".
- Legal 500 2020: Recommended Individual.
- Legal 500 2019: "Provides good, measured advice and acts promptly".
- Legal 500 2018: "Very good at communicating legal terminology into easily understood English and explain everything clearly and precisely, without ambiguity".
Katy is an associate in the firm’s trade mark team and is a chartered trade mark attorney, working in the Derby and Sheffield offices. She prepares, files and prosecutes trade mark applications in the UK, the EU and a large number of overseas territories. In addition, Katy provides pre-filing advice to clients, which often involves conducting trade mark searches and assisting with branding strategies.
Katy is experienced in handling large trade mark portfolios, which typically encompass applications, registrations, oppositions, renewals, assignments, trade mark watching, revocations and invalidity applications.
Katy has considerable experience in negotiating co-existence agreements and she spends a substantial amount of her time working towards reaching viable solutions for clients by providing pragmatic advice, which often requires broader consideration of clients’ goals and activities.
Katy also has experience of addressing objections that have been raised by intellectual property offices against trade mark applications. Katy has particular skill in advising clients should a third party threaten to oppose a trade mark application, by suggesting actions (where required) to avoid formal opposition being filed.
Katy works for a variety of clients, ranging from individuals to large companies, both in the UK and overseas and she tailors her advice accordingly.
Katy joined Swindell & Pearson in 2008. Prior to this, Katy worked as a solicitor in a law firm in the Midlands within its intellectual property team, having obtained a law degree from the University of Leicester. Upon joining Swindell & Pearson, Katy sat a number of exams in order to qualify as a chartered trade mark attorney.
Katy enjoys getting to know her clients and keeping up to date with their activities and successes by meeting up with them and following them on social media. Katy regularly receives referrals to new clients, from both existing clients and intermediaries.
Outside of work, Katy makes time to practise pilates and spend time outdoors.